Advance Your Career
NALS offers members and nonmembers the opportunity to sit for three unique certifications dedicated to the legal services profession. The exams are of varying levels and are developed by professionals in the industry. Each of the three certifications is developed by NALS and takes advantage of the more than 84 years of experience and dedication to the legal services industry only NALS has to offer. NALS has the certification for you, whether you are beginning a career in the legal industry or are a veteran paralegal ready to display your skills.
- Accredited Legal Professional (ALP) - Current Number Certified: 3,251 (as of 02/15)
One way to demonstrate your preparedness for the demanding field of law is by becoming an ALP®. This is NALS' entry-level examination for those entering the legal support profession. This designation is awarded after passing a four-hour, three-part exam. Attaining this goal demonstrates your commitment and aptitude for succeeding in the ever-changing legal environment.
- Professional Legal Secretary (PLS) - Current Number Certified: 5,751 (as of 02/15)
How do your skills compare with the hallmark of a professional? PLS® is the designation for lawyer’s assistants who want to be identified as exceptional. Certification is received after passing a one-day, four-part exam which demonstrates not only dedication to professionalism, but acceptance of the challenge to be exceptional.
- Professional Paralegal (PP) - Current Number Certified: 586 (as of 02/15)
Are you looking for a way to establish your credentials nationwide as a Professional Paralegal? Established in 2004 at our members request, the PP® designation is an attainable goal for paralegals who wish to be identified as exceptional in all areas of law. The certificate is received after passing a one-day, four-part exam.
Preparing for Exams
- Required Textbooks
- NALS Online Store – Information on mock exams and other materials to help you prepare.
- NALS Online Study Group – To assist those preparing for their exams, NALS will hold a series of WebEd sessions with coverage over all parts of the exam, as well as exam specific reviews for the ALP, PLS, and the Professional Paralegal (PP). The series will wrap up with a general session over test taking tips.
- NALS Basic or Advanced Legal Training Course – Many states and local chapters sponsor the NALS Legal Training Course. This course emulates a classroom study style in preparing for the exam. Check the NALS Calendar for an upcoming course in your area.
- Stetson University – NALS Online Basic Legal Training Program – An excellent option for individuals at locations without a local NALS chapter. This course is highly interactive and is taught by practicing lawyers.
Effective immediately, NALS will be offering a one-year FREE membership to students of approved legal studies and paralegal studies programs who take the ALP or PP certification exam! If you are a student who is registered to take the ALP or PP exam, please contact NALS Education/Certification Manager to ensure that you receive your free one-year membership.
Discount For Students