1. WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP?
Individual members consist of those persons engaged in work of a legal nature and who agree to comply with the NALS Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
2. HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER?
You can use the secure online application, or you may choose to print out the application right from the web site or in Adobe PDF format and mail or fax it. Simply choose the method you want to apply, fill out the NALS Membership Application, select a method of payment, and submit your application. You then just sit back and will receive your new member package from the NALS Resource Center within four weeks.
Categories of membership:
- Regular Member = $165 per year (includes state and local dues)
- International Member = $197 per year
- Retired Member = $65 per year
- National Associate Member = $75.00 per year (educators, judges and attorneys)
- National Student Member = $29 per year (minimum 9 credit hours required)
- Lifetime Member = $1,500 (one time fee) (annual billing for state and local dues)
3. WHY SHOULD I JOIN NALS?
Opportunities for professional and personal development are plenty when you join NALS. NALS is a tri-level organization composed of NALS, your state association, and your local chapter. Each offers top-notch professional growth through seminars, quality publications, and local, state, regional and national networking. NALS offers several regional and national conferences each year packed with outstanding education and featuring excellent speakers from around the country. State and local chapters offer more frequent meetings to give in-depth local educational coverage.
Additionally, NALS supports its members by providing the following benefits:
- Affinity Programs – Through outside sources NALS is able to provide our members with discounts on a variety of goods and services! Make sure you take advantage of these NALS member benefits.
- Certification – With three levels of certification NALS offers something for everyone and if you are just starting your career we offer you ways to prove yourself as you advance and gain experience.
- @Law Magazine – The NALS magazine for legal professionals is sent to members four times per year and includes expert written articles on all areas of law as well as specific topics of interest to members. This is a top-notch publication that NALS members can be proud of while learning from the content and anticipating the next issue.
- the NALS docket – A new feature for members is this digital newsletter that includes e-Learn (a trend update), Leading the Way (information from NALS committees), Blogworthy (information on what the blogging world is talking about), ReTweet (the chatter on Twitter), member spotlights, news from the president and executive director and more information from NALS.
- e-News – This is the electronic newsletter from NALS. e-News is sent to member inboxes each week with reminders and information on ways you can utilize your membership. These are also great deadline reminders so you do not miss any opportunities!
- NALS WebEd – The latest and greatest form of online education from NALS are these multimedia webinars presented by experts in the area. WebEd sessions cost $35 for members and $50 for non members and offer attendees the best online educational experience.
- The NALS Library – The NALS Library holds a listing of past WebEd and Online Study Group sessions that are FREE for Members, 20+ presentations and seminars for you to utilize, Past Jett Award Winners, the Ethics Series, The NALS Guide to Model Competencies for Legal Secretaries, and full issues of Past @Law magazines in PDF format.
- Career Center - Job seekers, whether you are looking for a new job, or are ready to take the next step in your career, we will help you find the opportunity that is right for you. Employers, target your recruiting and reach qualified candidates quickly and easily. Simply complete our online Registration Form and start posting jobs today!
- Membership Directory - NALS increases your opportunity for networking by providing a membership directory, assessable through your member login, that allows you to search for NALS members by last name, city, or state.
- Plus more!
4. WHO DO I CONTACT WITH REGARD TO MEMBERSHIP QUESTIONS?
Saundra Bates, NALS Membership Services Manager, is the staff person at the NALS Resource Center in charge of membership services. Saundra’s contact information is as follows:
NALS Membership Services Manager
NALS Resource Center
8159 East 41st Street
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74145
5. WHO ARE THE STAFF MEMBERS AT THE NALS RESOURCE CENTER?
Tammy Hailey, CAE (email@example.com)
Executive Director of NALS and Executive Director of the NALS Foundation
April Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Meetings & Communications Manager
Diana Price (email@example.com)
Education and Certification Manager
Saundra Bates (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Membership Services Manager
6. WHEN WAS NALS FOUNDED AND WHO ARE THE MEMBERS?
Since 1929, NALS . . . the association for legal professionals has been and continues to be the premiere association for professional legal support staff, providing many opportunities to improve individual performance and enhance knowledge of the legal profession through continuing legal education, networking with peers, NALS publication @LAW, and certification. The name NALS was not adopted or incorporate until 1949.
7. WHAT DO THE FOLLOWING ACRONYMS MEAN?
- ALP: Accredited Legal Professional
- PLS: Professional Legal Secretary
- PP: Professional Paralegal
- SMC: State Membership Chairman
- LMC: Local Membership Chairman
- CLE: Continuing Legal Education
- CLA: Certified Legal Assistant
- @Law: The Official NALS Magazine. As a member of NALS . . . the association for legal professionals, you will receive @LAW four times a year. Each issue features informative articles and time-saving resources. @LAW is so informative it won the coveted Gold Circle Award for Most Improved Magazine from the ASAE. The @LAW subscription rate for nonmembers of NALS is $40.00 per year. Subscribe now.
Frequently Asked Questions always seem to be a topic for discussion in membership. Not only do our current members have questions — we also find that potential members, new members, educators, students, attorneys, legal communities across the nation, and the general public have questions concerning NALS . . . the association for legal professionals. We hope that in this area of the NALS website, we will answer some of your most pressing questions. If not, please contact the NALS Membership Services Manager, Saundra Bates.
Do you have other questions? Please ask us.