Below are instructions for converting auto-numbering to text (freezing the current value):
To convert ALL auto-numbering:
- Save the document(s) to the hard drive**
- With the document open, press ALT + F11 to access Visual Basic.
- Press CTRL + G to access the immediate window (at the bottom of screen).
- Type the following in the exact case shown: ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText [NOTE: Be sure to hit ENTER after typing]
- Click on the blue floppy disk icon to save the changes;
- Exit Visual Basic.
**This allows you to keep the auto-numbering intact in your document.
To convert specific instances of auto-numbering:
- Follow instructions 1-3 above.
- Type the following in the immediate window (at the bottom of screen): Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText.
- Continue with instructions 5 and 6 above.
Susan C. King, Legal Word Processor, was hired by Waller Lansden Dortch & Davis, LLP as a floater secretary in 1994 and soon thereafter advanced into a legal secretarial position. Three years later, she transferred into the Word Processing Department and is continuing her journey toward becoming a software specialist with strong ties to training and macro development. If you would like Susan to cover a particular Word topic or have any questions, please email her at Susan.King@wallerlaw.com.