The Leadership Identification Committee (LIC) is responsible for selecting the best and brightest from within the legal industry to serve as candidates for each vacant position on the NALS Board of Directors. Any qualified member has the right to submit an application to be considered for appointment to the LIC. If you would like to apply, please read qualifications and complete the application for consideration. Additionally, all members have the right to nominate or encourage qualified individuals to apply for the LIC. If you would like to nominate a qualified individual, please direct them to the application and encourage them to apply. All completed applications will be fully reviewed and considered.
Diversity of age, ethnicity, gender, and geographical location will be considered to ensure that all members are well represented. The selection process will consist of three rounds.
- Initial Round: All applications will be considered and then narrowed based on responses and requirements that best fit NALS’ current needs. Not all applications will move forward to the next round.
- Second Round: Those selected and considered for the second round will be required to complete a leadership assessment developed by Mr. Erick Burton, CSP, professional leadership coach and founder of the Burton Leadership Center (www.erickburton.com). This leadership assessment gives detailed insight into how a leader handles pace, procedure, people, and problems. This report, in conjunction with all initial information, will be considered in determining the best fit for NALS’ current needs and which candidates will move on to the next round.
- Third Round: Those selected for the third round will undergo an interview process, either in person or through the use of media or phone. The final selections will be made based on accumulation of all information and the best mix of individuals to meet the needs of NALS.
Term limits for this committee will be three years with the option to be reappointed for a second term. After serving their second term, individuals must then roll off the committee for one year. One LIC member will be appointed to serve a three-year term beginning February 2017.
Deadline for applications is November 1, 2016.
- You must be a member in good standing. There is the possibility of one nonmember appointment; Erick Burton will initially serve as the nonmember.
- You must be willing and financially able to attend both national NALS Conferences each year to help identify upcoming potential leaders and attend potential LIC meetings.
- You must be willing and financially able to attend local/state events and conferences to help identify upcoming potential leaders at all levels.
- You must be available and communicate timely for the execution of LIC duties.
- You must be able to identify innovative potential leaders for the NALS Board.
- You must be willing and able to evaluate potential Board members fairly based on criteria without any personal or political agenda.
- You must be willing and able to serve your full term if selected.
- You must maintain strict confidentiality; all discussions must stay within committee; no information should be shared outside the committee of who said what about any of the candidates, the process, or the decision.
Leadership Identification Committee Application